Introducing the Winterns!!

Friday, January 11, 2013 by Jamilla

The month of January is quite a busy one for the Office of Admission. Upon our return from Winter Break on January 2nd we had buckets and buckets of mail needing to be processed from all of our glorious applicants. Fortunately, the Admission staff has been graced with the assistance of three current Mudders who we’ve affectionately dubbed the “Winterns” (get it? Winter + Interns=Winters…it was Jason’s idea).

Our Winterns have been hard at work not only helping us to get applications processed, but also providing tours for visiting families. So, without further ado, here’s a little bit about each of them!

Kennedy Agwamba

Year: Freshman
Major: Mathematical & Computational Biology
HSA Concentration: Economics
Dorm: Linde

“I’ve only been a Mudder for a few months but I can honestly say I’m excited about the future.”

After opening tons and tons of mail and processing application documents, my advice to prospective students would be to send supplementary materials that assist in adding some depth to your application.

Leslie Forrester

Year: Senior
Major: Engineering
HSA Concentration: Economics
Dorm: Atwood

“I love being a Mudder because I get the opportunity to do hands-on, real-world projects like Clinic while being and undergraduate. When I’m not busy doing all my homework or working in the Admission Office, I get the opportunity to hang out with my friends and all the other really awesome Mudders.”

After opening tons and tons of mail and processing application documents, my advice to prospective students would be to make sure your name stands out on all your documents. We get a lot of recommendations and file them under the recommender’s name instead of the applicant’s name because it’s not clear. Also cute stamps are fun to see!

Cori McElwain

Year: Senior
Major: Joint Math & Computer Science
HSA Concentration: Music
Dorm: Atwood

“I love the people at Mudd. I love being surrounded by intelligent, passionate people. I love that everyone here is driven to learn and excited about concepts from classes. I love that professors are always enthusiastic about working with students and are incredibly dedicated to their subject. And I love that student here are more than just science nerds. Everyone here has passions and interests outside of STEMS and we share those passions with each other.”

After opening tons and tons of mail and processing application documents, my advice to prospective students would be to not staple documents together. We need to remove any staples so the documents can be scanned into the computer. Also, make your name and birthday really clear on any form or recommendation. And you don’t need to submit entire research papers. A good abstract is way better.