First Post, Second Year, Third Week

Friday, June 28, 2013 by Kaitlin

Hello all! Seeing as this is my first post, but the end of my third week here, I figure I have some catching up to do.

Firstly, hi! I’m Kaitlin; you may have read our joint Intern introduction post by James. If not, you should.

Things you should know about me:

-I’m a rising sophomore and I’m not quite sure yet what major I’ll be. So far, I have decided against physics and chemistry (probably). I still have time though, because I don’t officially have to decide until the end of my sophomore year.

-I’m on the ultimate frisbee team, which is a club sport so I get to meet students from all of the 5Cs.

-I don’t like posing for pictures.

My very official office.
My very official office.

What I’m doing:

In my three weeks here, I have learned how to walk backwards, how to give a proper tour, and the basics of using XCode. (Xcode? What is XCode? It’s the program that is used to make iPhone apps.) When I’m not giving tours, I’m working on making a self-guided tour as an iPhone app. And that keeps my day pretty busy.

Apart from that, this week we had a special event known as the Greater Los Angeles Science and Technology Week. Basically, students have the opportunity to visit Caltech in the morning, then us in the afternoon. Here are some pictures of us setting up, waiting for people to arrive to check in:

Angela waiting for people to check in for Discovery Days.
Angela waiting for people to check in for the event.
This is our very fancy table.
This is our table.
And then there was a really cool red dragonfly.

That’s all for now! Next week we have another fancy event on Monday, and I’ll eventually get around to telling you about what I’ve been doing around and off campus during the summer months, as well as other fun things! You should feel free to email me if you have any questions, or things you want me to talk about (khansen@g.hmc.edu). That’s why I’m writing, after all: to give you a sense of what Mudd is all about.

-Kaitlin Hansen