Summer Birthdays

Thursday, July 18, 2013 by Kaitlin

So, yesterday was my birthday! Hooray! I wasn’t quite sure how I would spend it, when I was thousands of miles from home, and my friends were spread out across the world. Turns out, Mudd is a great place to spend your birthday, even over the summer. And all of the people I’ve met in the past year, as well as old friends, made sure to make it memorable. I got emails and texts and cards and so much love.

My family had mailed me presents, and made me promise not to open them until my birthday, so I finally got to open them.

20130717_065149
Presents, that I had to wait to open.

‘Course, I still went into work. There were so many well-wishings! And we got Oreo chocolate cake that was absolutely delicious. Considering I’ve only been working here for a little over a month, it was really great to know that people cared enough to get me a cake and throw a small party.

I got to cut the cake!
I got to cut the cake.

Delicious cake!

After work, I had received a mysterious invitation to a birthday gathering. I should explain. At Mudd, there is the tradition of showering on your birthday. Your friends grab you and take you to the nearest shower and turn it on, getting wet themselves in the process. So I was duly suspicious. But of course I went. And of course, the birthday gathering was a trap and I got showered. But I also got to see my friends, and have some good-natured fun. (I don’t have any pictures of being showered because cameras and water do not go well together.)

The perfect end to the day was hanging with some other friends, playing a board game known as Betrayal, and dying our hair. This was the first time I’d dyed my hair, and I got highlights, so it’s kind of subtle. But I think it looks cool.

I promise it's got purple bits!
It’s got purple bits, you just have to look hard enough.

There were so many fun things, and so many “happy birthdays” throughout the day. Thanks to all who made me feel special (though I know that sounds really cheesy, it really did make my day). This day was certainly one to remember.

I know that I’ve grown so much in the past year, and a lot of it was because of my experiences at Mudd. I can’t wait to see what the next year brings, what  fun things I’ll do, what objectives I’ll accomplish, and how I’ll grow. Onward!

-Kaitlin Hansen