The End of Summer (Almost)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 by Kaitlin

As the summer draws to a close (well, we still have four days, but close enough) I thought I’d use this blog post to kind of reflect on the past three months (and–let’s be honest–to post a lot of photos). I hadn’t imagined that I’d spend most of my summer here at Mudd–I was all set to go home and be with family and friends and my dog for the summer. It was a hard choice, but looking back, I think I’ve learned a lot that I couldn’t have if I’d been home all summer.

First, I got to do so many new things. College in general is about growing as a person, as well as learning things (at least, in my opinion it is). I got so much better at talking to people, and learned the basics of playing guitar. I went to a dancing class on a whim, and now have decided that I should keep dancing throughout the year. I saw the Griffith Observatory, wandered through various art museums, found an amazing bookstore, went to a concert, and tried sushi for the first time. And, of course, I took a lot of cool pictures as well:

The view from Griffith Observatory.
The view from Griffith Observatory.

Art from a small museum we stumbled upon, kind of by accident.

Sometimes the art buildings are just as stunning as the art.
Sometimes the architecture is just as stunning as the art.

My one semi-good picture of Alex Goot in concert.

I don't have a picture of the sushi, so have a picture of a crepe from The Village instead.
I don’t have a picture of the sushi, so have a picture of a crepe from the Village instead.

Also, I do think it helped me grow up. I mean, yes I did have to start doing my laundry by myself this past year, but this summer I was living by myself. This meant it was on me to decide when to leave my room, when to eat my meals, what food to even buy, and what to do with my weekends. I think I did pretty well on that front-the Farmer’s Market is an amazing place to get fresh food (as long as you eat it as soon as you buy it–I had far more food than I’d like to admit go bad). And again, I have pictures of my adventures:

We got free chocolate! (Don't worry, I didn't eat it all at once.)
Free food is always a good idea! (Don’t worry, I didn’t eat it all at once.)

Fruit is always a good thing to have too.
Fruit is of course a good thing to have too.

And whenever a friend bakes something, be sure to try it.

I do think that Mudders all find things to do during the summer. It’s hard to go from studying and working hard to complete downtime during the summer, and everyone I’ve talked to has found something amazing to do with their “free time”. I can’t wait to talk to people again, and hear all about the adventures they’ve been on this summer. I am always awed at the things we Mudders do.

Rachel showing off what she's been doing over this summer!
Rachel showing off what she’s been doing over this summer.

All of that said, I think I’m ready to go back to learning, and seeing people, and having a crowded lounge again. The frosh are coming on campus today, and I am super-incredibly-excited to meet them. I’ve been warned that first semester sophomore year is the hardest semester ever, and I’m going to be balancing Ultimate Frisbee, a job, homework, dancing, and time to myself. It’s going to be insane (in a good way). So by the time the first class of this new year rolls around, I’ll be ready for it, and all of the new challenges it entails. This summer was a great growth experience for me, and I think it prepared me well for this coming year. And now I cannot wait to see what the new school year brings.

Best of luck!
Best of luck, everyone!