Hello!

Friday, September 20, 2013 by Emilia Reed

Hi everyone!

So, I just started at Mudd this year and I am super excited to be writing a blog! My name is Emi Reed and I’m from Menlo Park, California. Though I don’t know what my major will be yet, I’m really interested in Engineering and Computer Science. I love longboarding and freelining (which I’ve taken up since coming to Mudd), watching TV when I’m not busy with homework, singing, and badminton. I also can’t wait to play Humans vs. Zombies and Quidditch later this semester!

I arrived at Harvey Mudd just over a month ago, and it has been amazing! I participated in Summer Institute with thirty-two other freshman and, along with taking our writing CORE class early, we did a bunch of cool activities, including Capture the Flag, high and low ropes courses at Boojum, henna tattoos, a trip to LA, and various academic workshops. It was three weeks of non-stop, jam-packed activities, and one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had.

Optical Illusion Photo for our SI Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts (HSA) workshop (he's not actually sitting on the bench!)
Optical Illusion Photo for our SI Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts (HSA) workshop (he’s not actually sitting on the bench!)

Visiting LA, a bunch of the guys bought Luchadores masks

Henna Party!
Henna Party!

Now that SI is over and school has officially started there are so many more people! All 800 or so students are on campus, hanging out and working hard. It has been a bit of an adjustment getting used to life at Harvey Mudd, but amazing all the same. I spend a lot of my time working in Platt (the campus center with awesome couches) with my friends, but on the weekends I’ve gone to archery on CMC (Claremont-McKenna College), watched movies in the Galileo lecture hall, and played pool in Jay’s place at midnight. Though the schoolwork may be hard, it’s all exciting and interesting, and everyone loves to have fun. I can’t wait for the rest of my time here at Mudd!

Crib Races
Crib Races

Thermal Dynamics Experiment
Thermal Dynamics Experiment

HMC Campus!