An attempt at an online college tour

Saturday, October 26, 2013 by Ji Su

I can clearly remember the time I walked into a computer lab in my high school, and sat down next to a senior. It was springtime, and college decisions had just been released. Passing by the ‘senior lunch tables’ in the cafeteria, much of the conversation revolved around the place they would study and live at for the next four years of their lives.

I casually asked her, ‘What are you up to?’ She showed me her screen: a Google Maps view of some apartments. The people walking along the sidewalk carried backpacks, textbooks or briefcases. I looked to her for an explanation:

‘I’m college-touring!’

I then realized that the address that she had put into the search bar was the street address of a state university. She had gained admission into several colleges, but she had never had the chance to visit any of them. In my high school – an international school in Singapore – most of the students were U.S.-bound for university, but quite a few of them would never have the opportunity to visit any schools before that May 1st deadline.

Today’s blog post is dedicated specifically to those who may not be able to visit Mudd before important deadlines, like Early Decision II or Regular Decision, or even the future enrollment date. I hope that these photos give you an every day view of Harvey Mudd College from a student perspective.

A view of my 5-minute walk to my morning classes (yup, campus is that small!). Platt Campus Center is on the right. It's where we do homework together and get tutored.
A view of my 5-minute walk to my morning classes (yup, campus is that small!). Platt Campus Center is on the right. It’s where we do homework together and get tutored.
Here's a view of Sprague (center) and the newly built Shanahan Center (to the right). The Shanahan Center is where most of our classes take place - it also has the office of admission and a Starbucks cafe. Sprague has lots of computers/study stations.
Here’s a view of Sprague (center) and the newly built Shanahan Center (to the right). The Shanahan Center is where most of our classes take place – it also has the office of admission and a Starbucks cafe. Sprague has lots of computers/study stations.
I drop by at the engineering lounge between classes to pick up homework assignments I grade or the multimeter I have to build for my electrical engineering class (scroll down for a photo of it!). Here's a picture of some cubbies at the lounge - each engineering major gets his/her own cubby. Convenient for storing breadboards, class projects, textbooks, etc.
I drop by at the engineering lounge between classes to pick up homework assignments I grade or the multimeter I have to build for my electrical engineering class (scroll down for a photo of it!). Here’s a picture of some cubbies at the lounge – each engineering major gets his/her own cubby. Convenient for storing breadboards, class projects, textbooks, etc.
Also found at the engineering lounge: Jennifer and Cindy studying for their biomechanics midterm. The engineering lounge (as well as Platt) is one of the many places students meet up to work together.
Students run the machine shops here. You can take the safety test as early as your freshman year at Mudd and use the machine shop whenever you want for whatever you want.
Student shop proctors run the machine shops here. You can take the safety test as early as your freshman year at Mudd and use the machine shop whenever you want for whatever you want.
My computer screen in the engineering computer lab. I actually enjoy going in there on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and processing data on MATLAB, while listening to music and drinking milk tea
My lab partner Kat and I successfully finished our multimeter! It measures resistance, DC voltage/AC voltage, DC current/AC current!
My lab partner Kat and I successfully finished our multimeter last night! It measures resistance, DC voltage/AC voltage, DC current/AC current!
Freshmen getting tutored by upperclassmen in core math classes
Freshmen getting tutored by upperclassmen in core math classes on a Thursday night
APISPAM (free!) KBBQ on a Saturday afternoon.
APISPAM (free!) KBBQ on a Saturday afternoon. APISPAM stands for Asian Pacific Islander Support Program at Mudd. They throw campus wide events like KBBQ and boba sales. They also have smaller sponsor-sponsee groups, which include 2 upperclassmen and several freshmen who do fun things together, like ice skating, getting frozen yogurt, or bowling.
Paul is happy with the APISPAM Korean BBQ event. APISPAM stands for Asian Pacific Islander Support Program at Mudd. They throw campus wide events like KBBQ and boba sales. They also have smaller sponsor-sponsee groups, which include 2 upperclassmen and several freshmen who do fun things together, like ice skating, getting frozen yogurt, or bowling.
Paul is happy with the APISPAM Korean BBQ event. I am too – the food looks SO GOOD.

Those are all the photos I have for now, but as usual, I’ll try to include as many photos as possible in all future blog posts. Let me know if you guys have any feedback – you can comment on this blog or email me at ji_su_lee@hmc.edu.

Thanks for reading!