Hitting the Breaks

Friday, October 25, 2013 by Travis

Hey everybody,

Excuse me if I am a little out of sync, it has been a short week for me and it still feels like Wednesday. Yes, fall break, the two-day holiday separating the first and second halves of the semester, exhaustively relaxed me to the point where I am still sitting on the beach in my mind. Accordingly, I will use this opportunity to relive this past Saturday just one last time…

The following events occur between 9 and 11 am, Saturday, October 19th. The events occur in real time.

Waking up on Saturday, I felt this strange feeling of refreshment; what was this euphoria? Ah, it’s the full night of sleep! Anyways, I rolled out of bed, threw on my classiest sweatpants, picked some lint of the shirt I had slept in and threw a hat over my bed. I texted Sagar and Jake, fellow early weekend morning denizens, met up and headed down to the village. Our mission was to reach 42nd Street Bagel, my favorite breakfast indulgence. I also happen to be competing for the mayorship of it in both Yelp and FourSquare; ya, I’m kind of a big deal. I chronicled our journey throughout the Claremont Colleges and the Village using my GoPro Hero 3 Black camera.

The view from Atwood 302, just after I woke up. What a beautiful, work-free day.
CMC's newest building, The Kravis Center. It reminds me of a U.S. Embassy.
CMC’s newest building, The Kravis Center. It reminds me of a U.S. Embassy.
Pomona College's Big Bridges Theater has hosted everything from college plays to Grammy-winning artists such as Taylor Swift. It is my favorite building on Pomona's campus.
Pomona College’s Big Bridges Theater has hosted everything from college plays to Grammy-winning artists such as Taylor Swift. It is my favorite building on Pomona’s campus.
Sagar walking away from the counter with his prized bagel. 42nd Street Bagel is a New York-style bagel bakery  on Yale Street in the Village at Claremont.
Sagar walking away from the counter with his prized bagel. 42nd Street Bagel is a New York-style bagel bakery on Yale Street in the Village at Claremont.
Nova bagel with cream cheese and lox, my favorite breakfast food!
Jake, Sagar, and I met up with Alex at the park in the Village. It is always a pleasure to discuss quantum computing and commiserate about life with cherished friends over a bagel.
Jake and Sagar, enjoying their bagels as Sagar uses his empty box to discuss big data.
Looking up from the courtyard of Atwood, it looks like it's going to be a great day.
Looking up from the courtyard of Atwood, it looks like it’s going to be a great day.

The morning was a success, but what would the afternoon and evening have in store for our heroes?

The following events take place between 12 and 4 pm. The events occur in real time.

After taking a shower and transforming into my true form, OC Travis, I set off to hit the beach with Michael, Christian, Brian, and Margaret. We arrived at my home break, Huntington Beach, AKA Surf City, USA, and spent a relaxing 4 hours playing volleyball on the beach, bodysurfing, and cruising around Main Street, complete with milkshakes at Ruby’s on the end of the pier.

The HB Pier, with tide receding.
The HB Pier, with tide receding.
Many a harrowing experience of mine have occurred under this pier, from sand sprints during Jr. Guards to close calls while surfing. Still, it is my favorite hallway.
I found this picturesque scene as the tide receded, complete with an intact sand dollar!
There were some beauts breaking outside as the tide hit its sweet spot over the sandbar.
My ugly mug, mid-wave.
My ugly mug, mid-wave.

Now, this is a sweet day already, you might be tempted to say, BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE.

The following events take place between 7:30 pm and 12 am. Events occur in real time.

CAP, the Committee for Activities Planning, is a student-run organization that subsidizes trips to sporting events, concerts, movies, and other events. I have been on CAP trips to LA Kings games, Ontario Reign games, Anaheim Angels baseball games, as well as to midnight premieres of movies such as The Hunger Games. This past Saturday, October 19th, there was a CAP trip to see Paramore, Metric, and Hellogoodbye at the Honda Center in Anaheim, CA. I am a HUGE Paramore fan, and I was unbelievably stoked to get to be able to see them live in concert, especially with CAP helping to foot some of the cost of the fairly expensive general admission ticket.

Paramore, singing Part II, a song off of their new album.
Hayley Williams, the lead singer of Paramore, belts it out for all 10,000 in attendance to hear. Don't tell anybody, but I have a bit of a celebrity crush on her.
Hayley Williams, the lead singer of Paramore, belts it out for all 10,000 in attendance to hear. Don’t tell anybody, but I have a bit of a celebrity crush on her.
Paramore, doing their thing. The crowd kept pushing closer and closer to the stage, it was a great atmosphere.
The band brought the original Gospel choir that recorded the song, Ain't It Fun with them on stage as special guests. The place went nuts, and the choir really hammed it up, it was great.
The band brought the original Gospel choir that recorded the song, Ain’t It Fun with them on stage as special guests. The place went nuts, and the choir really hammed it up, it was great.
What can I say at this point? I have attended about 20 concerts in my life, and this was a strong contender for my favorite.
They dropped balloons and paper butterflies during their last song, "Still Into You." I should be over all the butterflies, but I'm still into you!
They dropped balloons and paper butterflies during their last song, “Still Into You.” I should be over all the butterflies, but I’m still into you!
Shout out to my concert buddy, Mudd senior chemistry major Olivia Warren. Tip: Add friends to CAP trip for best results.

I highly recommend Paramore to anyone who likes pop, punk, or rock; their newest self-titled album kicks as…teroids! All in all, this fall break was truly one for the books. Hitting the brakes so I could hit the breaks at Huntington, chillax with close friends, and get my face blown off by Paramore was incredible, and much needed. Now begins the second half of this tough semester, but I’m recharged and ready to go.

Until next time,

Travis