HMC Cribs: Atwood Edition

Friday, November 8, 2013 by Travis

Yo yo yo, how’s it hanging MTV…I mean HMC Cribs! Welcome to my suite!

You’re in sunny Southern California today, visiting Atwood Dorm at Harvey Mudd College. Just to give you a background, Atwood is named after John Leland Atwood, an aerospace engineer famous for developing the P-51 Mustang during World War II and overseeing the Apollo program. You can read more about this great man and his contributions, including his most important one (Atwood Dorm, of course), here. Atwood is the only dorm on campus with three stories, and is the oldest dorm of the outer dorms. The outer dorms are the four dorms that are situated past Mills Avenue that we built after the original four dorms (West, East, South, and North). Atwood’s rooms are mainly organized in suites. Each floor has four suites, each containing four singles, a double, a triple, two bathrooms, and a suite common area.

One great thing about Mudd is that students in all grades live mixed together. For example, my suite currently has two juniors, one sophomore, one senior, and five freshmen. The Atwood suite I lived in freshman year was four seniors and five freshmen, and other suites in the dorm are just as mixed as we are. This creates an atmosphere pretty unique to Mudd in that upperclassmen have the privilege of mentoring underclassmen even in non-academic life. Coming to college can be pretty stressful, as it not only brings new academic challenges, but for many it is the first time they are living on their own. Upperclassmen oftentimes help freshmen adjust to life at Mudd, whether it is getting them involved in intramural sports, joining new clubs, or developing new interests such as teaching them how to play video games or to play chess. Also, they often times give advice about time management at Mudd and how they’ve found effective ways to both get school work done as well as keep up on nutrition, fitness, partying and having fun. Atwood is extremely serious about intramural sports as well, and upperclassmen play a vital role in getting the freshmen excited about inner tube water polo, flag football, and indoor soccer, to name a few.

Each of the suites ends up with its own personality, some changing year after year and others being “passed down” as legacy suites. One such legacy suite at Atwood is FunShine. I am a denizen of FunShine, and live in one of the three suites of the FunShine Empire. The personality of each suite obviously depends on the people that live in it, and this is something that is taken heavily into account when freshmen are placed into their rooms. Room Draw occurs in the middle of spring semester each year, and afterwards, the rooming assignments for next year’s seniors, juniors, and sophomores are all set. Then, over the summer, the Orientation Directors read all of the roommate matching forms for the year’s incoming freshmen and place them with roommates and near upperclassmen who they feel they would best fit in with. This is a process unique to Mudd, as it allows esteemed current students who are most in tune with what the campus and each dorm are like to put people where they fit in the best. This system is also extremely successful, and students most often end up living with their freshmen year roommates all four years, and oftentimes live with or near the upperclassmen they are originally placed for the rest of their time at Mudd.

Without further ado, I can now give you the (virtual) tour of my suite!

Atwood Dorm, walking up.
Atwood Dorm, walking up.
This is the daredevil squirrel that lives outside of Atwood. There are many squirrels, but this guy is a legend. Look at that balance!
The view of our suite common area, complete with Christmas lights. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!
Here is a view of suite in the light. Notice the luxury stadium seating complemented with couches and armchairs. Our state-of-the-art entertainment center includes a Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, and a five year old 42" television complete with a frayed HDMI cord for watching movies and TV shows.
Here is a view of suite in the light. Notice the luxury stadium seating complemented with couches and armchairs. Our state-of-the-art entertainment center includes a Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, and a five year old 42″ television complete with a frayed HDMI cord for watching movies and TV shows.
Another view of our high-tech entertainment system.
Here is one side of my room. I live in one of the singles. Notice the couch that is bigger than my bed! I love fishing and Taylor Swift!
This is where the magic happens, and my magic I mean the few and far between hours (but I really mean minutes) of sleep. My bed and my posters! Paramore, Taylor Swift, The Dark Knight Rises (Bane), and Kings hockey are what I'm all about in short!
This is where the magic happens, and my magic I mean the few and far between hours (but I really mean minutes) of sleep. My bed and my posters! Paramore, Taylor Swift, The Dark Knight Rises (Bane), and Kings hockey are what I’m all about in short!
My closet, complete with my wardrobe of Giorgio Armani, Ralph Lauren, and J. Crew. By that I mean free t-shirts I have received from various events at Mudd and my thrift store dress clothing.
The view (from Saturday) from my single. Anyone who gets that reference gets a cookie.
This is a view of the double, filled with our frosh. FROSH. This is a perfect example of how suites help Mudders collaborate!

Well, now that you have seen the tour, GET OUT! And by that I mean come visit us and see Atwood and the other dorms for yourself!

Until next time,

Travis