One crazy week

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 by Ji Su

Hey everyone, welcome back from Thanksgiving break! Hope the first Monday back wasn’t too difficult for all of you guys. I didn’t travel home for Thanksgiving because it’d be way too far, but I still had a pretty good vacation from work. I definitely needed it, because the week before Thanksgiving was so long! My iCal basically blew up in rainbow colors – deep blue for classes, light blue for meetings, green for fun stuff, purple for school events, and red for work. From Sunday to Thursday was half split between the two shades of blue, with green and purple boxes at the ends, and red boxes accentuating the few empty spots left over. Here’s the breakdown of that week:

Discounted pedicure with GirlSHMC

GirlSHMC (the club for traditionally girly things at Harvey Mudd) organized a nail salon trip on Saturday. With their budget they subsidized $10 for a pedicure, so my friend Michelle and I jumped on this great deal. Besides, we were both feeling pretty unproductive that day anyway. It was super relaxing and I had some great quality girl time.

First time getting a French pedicure. Also, to Michelle - sorry your feet aren't pictured here so we can't show off our matching pedicures... I decided my flip flop tanned feet were too embarrassing looking next to your feet...
First time getting a French pedicure. Also, to Michelle – sorry your feet aren’t pictured here so we can’t show off our matching pedicures… I decided my flip flop tanned feet were too embarrassing looking next to your feet…

Unfortunately this week it suddenly got super cold – cold to the point where I can no longer wear flip flops and show off my French tipped toes. Sigh…such bad timing.

Class registration

Registration for our spring semester classes also happened. In college, this means that all you see on your Facebook newsfeed is schedules, schedules, schedules. Here’s a photo and a link to my schedule so you can read about all the fun courses I’ve signed up for! Also, you can see how many people will be in each of these classes by clicking on that link. It’ll answer all your classes about ‘How big will my classes be at Mudd?’ Answer: Comfortably small :)

Tip: I know you all wake up really early in high school... yeah 8AM is not going to be something you can do in college...unless you're a super morning person. Which I'm not. Yay for 11am classes and free Fridays!
Tip: I know you all wake up really early in high school… but 8AM is not going to be something you can do in college…unless you’re a super morning person. Which I’m not. Yay for 11am classes and free Fridays!

Clinic site visit

My Clinic team visited our sponsor company – Eaton Aerospace – in Glendale, CA to have a preliminary design review this Thursday. We’re working on direct drive servo valves – don’t worry if you don’t know what that means because I didn’t until this Clinic project. We brought some of the designs that we’ve been working on, and presented the pros and cons of each to some of their most expert engineers in machining, mechanical design, hydraulics, and servo valves. It was such an enriching experience to get their feedback on our designs and it felt amazing to hear from that they were very satisfied with our presentation, considering these people have been doing this kind of work for so many years already. We had all been working so hard to put the presentation together and do extra research and analysis for this site visit. Starting Sunday week we had met up and worked for about 5 hours every day up to Thursday. All those hours in the computer lab paid off! :)

International Banquet

Every year the International Place of the Claremont Colleges hosts the International Banquet, where students serve dishes from all over the world and put on performances representative of many cultures. The Banquet happened on Saturday, and I volunteered as an event photographer there. Here are a quick snapshots:

International Banquet was held at the Frary dining hall in Pomona this year - last year it was held at Mudd.
International Banquet was held at the Frary dining hall in Pomona this year – last year it was held at Mudd.
Banquet2
A few of my friends from ISMP (International Student Mentor Program at Pomona) – who helped out with the International Orientation this summer.
There was a photobooth at the event - you could pose with a cardboard Donald Delgado - Donald helps out international students at Mudd with any questions we have regarding visa issues, employment, etc.
There was a photobooth at the event – you could pose with a cardboard Donald Delgado – Donald helps out international students at Mudd with any questions we have regarding visa issues, employment, etc.

Also, if you want to know more about the Banquet, you can read last year’s post about it here.

Gantry Trolley

My partner Lisa and I worked together to model a Gantry trolley this week for Prof Cha’s Dynamics of Elastic Systems class. In the class we examine all kinds of configurations of spring-mass-damper models and analyze them using all of the math that we learned during the Core, plus a little bit of signals and systems (which is the one engineering course that is part of Core). For the first class project we examined the motion of a Gantry trolley – modeled as a cart attached to a spring with a simple pendulum attached to the bottom of it.

After a cup of Top Ramen, some coffee, and tea, we finally finished the project!

Thanksgiving plans

So after all of this, I finally got to relax during Thanksgiving break. My boyfriend Sachit and I made aglio olio pasta, buttered carrots, and tomato basil soup for Thanksgiving dinner. Then we went Black Friday shopping with our friend Paul. We went to Target first – just for groceries and not for any of the huge TV/vacuum cleaner/video game sales they were having…we went just because we really wanted some Ben & Jerry’s ice cream after a huge dinner :) Afterwards, we headed to a huge outlet mall. Most of my purchases were food –Auntie Anne’s cinnamon-sugar pretzels and Haagen Daz’s chocolate milkshake — plus some gifts for my family. The two boys had a great time shoe shopping though – for a while I took the role of the stereotypical ‘boyfriend’ tagging along on a girls’ shopping trip, which wasn’t as bad as men make it out to be!

I hope all of you guys had a good Thanksgiving break. We all need a short vacation once in a while, and now I’m definitely ready to get back into work and finish off strong for the end of the semester. Please let me know if you have any questions/comments and have a great week everyone!