CMS Athletics: Get Involved and Get in Shape!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 by Emma

First off, hey guys! My name is Emma Klein, and I am interning in the admissions office over winter break. I’m a freshmen here at Mudd, and I wanted to tell you guys a little about my experience with CMS athletics.

My roommate and I — I’m on the left.

I ran cross country for 4 years in high school, and when I thought about going to college, I just couldn’t imagine my life without it, so I joined the CMS cross country team. At Mudd, all of our varsity sports are run in conjunction with Claremont McKenna and Scripps, two of the other Claremont Colleges, thus our teams are called CMS for Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The women’s team mascot is the Athenas while CMS men’s teams are the Stags.

My experiences with cross country have been completely positive. When you arrive on campus about a week before everyone else, you meet your teammates and almost immediately have a family. Athletic teams here practice together, eat together, and hang out together, so we get close very quickly. I can easily say that my best friends on campus are friends from my team.

Most of the CMSXC freshman class.

Of course, we also have to practice and compete. It can be difficult at times but it is definitely possible to schedule your classes around practice for any sport you would want to play. For example, cross country practice is at 6AM to avoid scheduling conflicts. I know this sounds absolutely horrible for college students who want to stay up all night and sleep all day, but playing a sport you love and seeing your friends every day makes it worth the sacrifice. Plus, all that practice means you can eat two desserts every meal without worrying about the freshman 15! Additionally, if sports cause a conflict professors are very understanding and accommodating.

Ugly running photos. Don’t judge me.

As an incoming student, I know I was really worried about balancing the workload with my athletics.  I’m here to tell you that it is absolutely doable. You learn to plan your time, so instead of wasting your afternoon watching Netflix or playing video games, you do your work. Then you’ll have time for practice and the sleep you need to perform well both in school and in athletics. And there’s still time to have fun, because practice is fun, work is fun when you do it with friends, and sleep is fun. Plus there’s weekends!

The team after winning the conference meet.

If sports in general or cross country specifically sounds like something you’d be interested in, you should definitely contact the coach. Here’s the link to the CMS website, which has rosters, coaches emails, and all kinds of other athletic information: http://cmsathletics.org/landing/index

That’s about all for today, so I’ll leave you with some pictures!

Emma

Our first meet is on the beach at Santa Barbara!
The Athenas at a fancy party.
Stags on stags on stags.
Team trip to Tahoe during the summer.
The men’s nationals team.
The women’s nationals team.
Work together, play together.