Eastmas – The Happiest Time of the Year

Friday, January 10, 2014 by Sarah Gilkinson

Hi everybody! My name is Sarah, and I’m interning in the Office of Admission with Kharisma and Emma over winter break. I’m a sophomore computer science major and I live in East, the BEST dorm at Mudd in my entirely unbiased opinion.

Just before Winter Break, East has a tradition of holding “Eastmas,” where the dorm presidents buy and wrap inexpensive presents for the students who live in East dorm (and third floor Easties*).

Eastmas.DC

Mrs. Claus, known during the rest of the year as Dean Chris, poses with students as they open their presents.

The gifts are wrapped in newspaper and given a title to describe the person who should receive the gift. This can be anything from “Dorm Classy Frosh” to “Dorm Sparkles.” After the presidents call out the title of the gift, everyone in the lounge shouts the name of a person who they believe should receive the gift. The person whose name is shouted the loudest gets the gift.

My wonderful roommate Shannon Wetzler, who shall henceforth be known as “Dorm Sparkles”
My wonderful roommate Shannon Wetzler ’16, who shall henceforth be known as “Dorm Sparkles”

Some of the titles make more sense than others.

Jonathan Chang ‘17, “Dorm Totally a Bowling Ball”

For example, “Dorm Totally a Bowling Ball” was actually a watermelon, while “Dorm not a Bowling Ball” was actually a bowling ball.

Eastmas is an opportunity to relax before finals start and have a ton of fun with an awesome dorm.

That’s all for now from me! I’ll leave you with more pictures of the fabulous people and gifts of Eastmas.

- Sarah Gilkinson

* East, like all of the inner dorms, has only two stories. Many students from other dorms or even other campuses hang out at East, and are given the fond nickname of “third floor Easties.”

**All photos thanks to the wonderful Allison Mis ‘15**

Jozi McKiernan ‘16, who was selected to be both “Dorm Makes Lives Better” and “Dorm Flipper”
Jennifer Rogers ‘16, “Dorm Baking”
Jennifer Rogers ‘16, “Dorm Baking”
Emma Meersman ‘16, “Dorm Android”
Emma Meersman ‘16, “Dorm Android”
Chloé Calvarin ‘16, “Dorm Athlete”
Chloé Calvarin ‘16, “Dorm Athlete”