State Grants

The state of California and other states offer grant aid to students who qualify.

Cal Grant Program

Administered through the California Student Aid Commission, the Cal Grant Program provides need-based grants to California residents attending California colleges and universities who are U.S. citizens and permanent U.S. residents. In recent years, the maximum Cal Grant for Harvey Mudd students has been $9,084.

All California resident financial aid applicants are required to apply for the Cal Grant Program by completing the FAFSA and the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form. If you don’t receive the Cal Grant due to an incomplete, an inaccurate or a late application, the Office of Financial Aid cannot guarantee the equivalent in Harvey Mudd scholarship assistance.

The deadline for applying is March 2. If you do not receive a Cal Grant Entitlement Award during your first year or you are disqualified based on not meeting income, asset and financial need requirements, you must reapply for a Competitive Cal Grant for your second, third or fourth year.

Cal Grant awards are announced and finalized in late spring. If, at that time, we learn that you are eligible for a Cal Grant award, and Cal Grant aid had not been included on your financial aid award letter, your Harvey Mudd scholarship will be reduced by the amount of your Cal Grant award.

Continuing Cal Grant recipients do not need to submit the Cal Grant GPA. Verification Form. However, based on California Education Code section 69432.7(k) effective March 24, 2011, Cal Grant eligibility must be determined each year. Cal Grant recipients will now need to meet income, asset and financial need requirements, all of which previously applied only to initial Cal Grant recipients. For this reason, you must submit your FAFSA on or before the March 2 deadline.

California Dream Act students could be Cal Grant eligible if all California Dream Act and Cal Grant eligibility criteria are met. For more information, please visit our page dedicated to undocumented students.

Other California Student Aid Commission Awards

Applicants who are California residents should also consider applying for these awards sponsored by the California Student Aid Commission:

Grants from Other States

The following states offer grants to resident students attending California colleges and universities:

  • Alaska
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Maryland
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • Territories of Guam and the Pacific Islands

For more information, please contact the state agency that delivers funds in your state. A list of addresses and phone numbers of state agencies can be obtained from the U.S. Department of Education.