Application Materials and Requirements

Transfer Application Requirements

  • Common Application form. Submit along with the required essay and short answer responses.
  • Harvey Mudd College Supplement Writing Samples. Required additional essay and short answer response that will be part of the Common Application you complete for Harvey Mudd College. Preview the writing supplement topics and questions.
  • Completed midterm report
  • College official’s report completed by dean of students or an academic advisor
  • Math or science college instructor evaluation*
  • Humanities or social sciences college instructor evaluation*
  • Official transcript from current college or university and all previously attended colleges or universities
  • Official, final high school transcript
  • All standardized test results (SAT, SAT II, ACT). Submit if taken within the last five years.
  • Printed course descriptions. Copy the course descriptions from your college’s catalogue. Include all completed coursework. Your in-progress coursework can be entered on the Common Application midterm report. This is used for a preliminary credit evaluation.
  • $70 application fee

* Having this evaluation completed by a primary Instructor is preferred, but we understand in some instances this may be difficult to obtain. In such cases, an evaluation completed by a graduate/teacher’s assistant will be accepted.

Recommended Items

  • Testing: While we don’t require any standardized testing for transfer students, the SAT Math II exam can be helpful as we evaluate your application.
  • Campus visit: HMC is a unique place, so we recommend you visit campus before you apply. While we don’t offer interviews for transfer students, you’re welcome to chat with an admission representative by phone or email if you have any questions.
  • Supplemental recommendation: If you have not had the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with the faculty at your current institution, ONE additional recommendation may be submitted from a recent high school teacher (within the last two years). This will not replace either of the two required college instructor evaluations.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my school’s dean of students doesn’t know me? Can I substitute another recommendation for the College official’s report?

The dean of students’ recommendation doesn’t need to be a personal recommendation. It serves to assure us that the applicant is in good academic and social standing, and has not violated any school policies. An advisor or another school official who has access to your academic and disciplinary record can complete the College official’s report.

How many transfers does HMC admit?

The transfer applicant pool is very small and highly competitive. We generally receive 40 to 50 transfer applications. We admit fewer than 10 and enroll one to three transfer students each year.