Update: Overnight visits will resume in September 2014.
An overnight visit is the best way to experience student life at Harvey Mudd College. We offer overnight visits–Monday through Thursday–in our residence halls from late September until Thanksgiving, and throughout February.
Only high school seniors may stay overnight. During your overnight, you will take a campus tour, participate in an admission interview, eat in our dining hall, sit in on classes and meet our amazing community.
You can schedule an overnight visit through our Calendar of Events. You must submit your request at least two weeks in advance AND complete the Overnight Visit Policy Form at least 7 days prior to your visit. If you would like to take a campus tour and/or interview you must register for those separately.
Overnight Visit Check-list
1. Submit an overnight visit request through our Calendar of Events at least two weeks in advance of your visit date.
2. Plan/book your travel, including ground transportation, to Harvey Mudd College campus. You will need your arrival/departure information to complete the Overnight Visit Policy Form, which you will be linked to immediately after submitting your request, and also receive in an email confirmation.
3. Submit the Overnight Visit Policy Form at least 7 days prior to your arrival to campus. Your request will be approved and visit confirmed once we receive this information.
4. Plan the remainder of your visit – Check the class schedule and decide which classes to sit in on. Then register for a campus tour and interview through our Calendar of Events.
5. Pack for your visit:
- Pillow and sleeping bag
- Towel and toiletries
- Clothes and a book or some homework for free time
- Some cash for a late-night snack at Jay’s Place (vouchers are provided for meals at our dining hall) or souvenirs from Huntley Bookstore
6. Enjoy a wonderful and informative visit to Harvey Mudd College!
Overnight Visit FAQs
Who will be my host? What dorm will I be staying in?
You will receive an information packet upon arrival to campus. The packet will include your host’s name, dorm room and contact information, as well as some important emergency contact numbers.
What time should I arrive/depart?
Students should plan to arrive by 4:30pm to check in with the Office of Admission. Please plan to arrive no earlier than 8:00am and not during the lunch hour 12:00-1:00pm. Outside of this, we recommend you choose an arrival/departure time that works best for your schedule. We highly recommend you include a campus tour and interview in your visit. You may also consider attending an information session and sitting in on select classes.
When should I schedule for a campus tour and/or interview during my visit?
Before scheduling your campus tour and/or interview, we recommend checking the class schedule to decide which classes you would like to sit in on. Campus tours and interviews are offered many times a day while certain classes may only meet once during your overnight visit.
Do I need to give advance notice for the classes I would like to sit in on?
You do not need to give any notice for the classes you are attending. We only ask that you check in with the Office of Admission before attending classes. We also suggest you arrive early to introduce yourself to the professor before class starts. Faculty are always very welcoming of prospective students and may even point you to another class if it is not a great day to observe theirs (i.e., exam days, return of exams, etc.). You will find the current course schedule in Visiting Classes.
I am flying into LAX/ONT Airport, how do I get to/from campus?
We suggest arranging for transportation through Super Shuttle. The service picks up and drops off directly on campus. If possible, we recommend flying into ONT Airport. It is a nice low-key airport just 10 miles east of campus. Most current students will fly in/out of ONT Airport and use Super Shuttle for ground transportation.